- 1. What Information Do We Collect And For What Purpose?
- 2. Legal Basis For Processing In The EU
- 4. Third-Party Tracking And Online Advertising
- 5. Sharing Of Your Information
- 6. Control Over Your Information
- 7. For Residents In The EU And Switzerland
- 8. How We Store And Protect Your Information
- 9. Children’s Privacy
- 10. Links To Other Web Sites And Services
- 11. Your California Privacy Rights
- 12. How To Contact Us
Effective Date: June 14, 2019
Render is the controller of your personal information. This means that Render is the entity responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal information as defined in Art. 4 (1) of the European Data Protection Regulation (”GDPR”).
The categories of information we collect can include:
- Information you provide to us directly. We may collect personal information, such as your name, email address, and payment information, when you register for our Service, sign up for our mailing list, or otherwise communicate with us. We may also collect any communications between you and Render and any other information you provide to Render.
- Data collected through the use of the Service for Render’s legitimate interests, namely to improve the Service generally, to monitor and resolve issues, and for other internal purposes. We collect information about how you use the Service, your actions on the Service, and content you post to the Service (”User Content”). Please remember that Render may, but has no obligation to, monitor, record, and store User Content in order to protect your safety or the safety of other users, to assist with regulatory or law enforcement efforts, or to protect and defend our rights and property.
- Information we receive from third-party sites you connect to our Service. We may receive personal information about you from third parties and combine that with information we collect through our Service. For example, we may obtain information when you log in through a third-party provider, such as GitHub or Slack. These services will authenticate your identity and may provide you the option to share certain personal information with us, which could include your name, email address, or other information. Similarly, when you interact with us through a social media site or third-party service, such as when you like, follow, share, or otherwise engage with Render content on Facebook, Twitter, GitHub, Slack, LinkedIn, or other sites, we may receive information from the social network, including your profile information, picture, user ID associated with your social media account, and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive from these third-party sites is dependent upon that third party’s policies and your privacy settings on that third-party site. You should always review and, if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our Service.
- Location information. We may approximate your location using your IP Address.
- Information we receive from third parties. From time to time, we may receive information about you from third parties and other users. We may also collect information about you that is publicly available.
We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service, as well as to communicate directly with you, such as to send you email messages and permit you to communicate with others on the Service or on social media, or invite others to join the Service. We may also send you Service-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). For more information about your communication preferences, see “Control Over Your Information” below.
As required under applicable data protection law, the legal bases which we rely on to process your personal information are as follows:
- The processing is necessary for the performance of a contract (and to take steps prior to entering into a contract) with you, namely, our Terms of Service.
The processing is necessary for our legitimate interests, namely:
a. To maintain and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service;
b. To send Service-related emails and to contact you and respond to your requests and enquiries;
c. To monitor and improve the Service and business and to help us develop new products and services;
d. For business administration, including statistical analysis; and
e. For fraud prevention and detection.
- We will only process your personal data to contact you to tell you about new products and services and other information we think you might find valuable to the extent you have given us your consent. You have the right to withdraw consent to such marketing at any time by contacting us.
We and our third-party service providers may collect certain types of usage information when you use our Service, read our emails, or otherwise engage with us. We use this information to enhance and personalize your user experience, to recognize and contact you, and to monitor and improve our websites and Service. In some instances, we and our third-party service providers may combine this usage information with personal information. If we do combine any usage information with personal information, the combined information will be treated by us as personal information hereunder (as long as it is so combined).
We typically collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, file information, and similar technology (collectively, ”tracking technologies”). We, and our third-party partners, use tracking technologies to automatically collect usage and device information, such as:
- Information about your device and its software, such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, device type/model/manufacturer, operating system, date and time stamp, and a unique ID that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, mobile device, or your account (including, for example, a persistent device identifier or an Ad ID), and other such information. We may also work with third-party partners to employ technologies, including the application of statistical modeling tools, which permit us to recognize and contact you across multiple devices.
- Information about the way you access and use our Service, for example, the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave our Service, the pages you visit, the links you click, whether you open emails or click the links contained in emails, whether you access the Service from multiple devices, and other actions you take on the Service.
- Information about your location, including GPS coordinates (e.g., latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device, or we may be able to approximate or infer a device’s location by analyzing other information, like an IP address.
Analytics information. We may collect analytics data or use third-party analytics tools such as Google Analytics to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service and to understand more about the demographics of our users. You can learn more about Google’s practices at https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites and view its currently available opt-out options at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies; however, doing so may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
We and our third-party partners may also use tracking technologies for advertising purposes. For more information about tracking technologies, please see “Third-Party Tracking and Online Advertising” below.
- How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our users, we are unable to respond to Do Not Track signals set by your browser at this time.
- Interest-Based Advertising. We participate in interest-based advertising and use third-party advertising companies to serve you targeted advertisements based on your browsing history. We may share or we may permit third-party online advertising networks, social media companies, and other third-party services to collect information about your use of our website over time so that they may display ads on our Service, on other devices you may use, and on other websites, apps, or services. Typically, though not always, the information we share is provided through cookies or similar tracking technologies, which recognize the device you are using and collect information, including click stream information, browser type, time and date you visited the site, and other information. We and our third-party partners use this information to make the advertisements you see online more relevant to your interests, as well as to provide advertising-related services such as reporting, attribution, analytics, and market research.
Social Media Widgets and Advertising. Our Service may include social media features, such as the Facebook Like button, Google Plus, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, or other widgets. These social media companies may recognize you and collect information about your visit to our Service, and they may set a cookie or employ other tracking technologies. Your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of those companies.
We may display targeted advertising to you through social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and others. These companies have interest-based advertising programs that allow us to direct advertisements to users who have shown interest in our Service while those users are on the social media platform or to groups of other users who share similar traits, such as likely commercial interests and demographics. These advertisements are governed by the privacy policies of those social media companies that provide them.
- Cross-Device Linking. We, or our third-party partners, may link your various devices so that content you see on one device can result in relevant advertising on another device. We do this by collecting information about each device you use when you are logged in to our Service. We may also work with third-party partners who employ tracking technologies or the application of statistical modeling tools to determine if two or more devices are linked to a single user or household. We may share a common account identifier (such as an email address or user ID) with third-party advertising partners to help recognize you across devices. We, and our partners, can use this cross-device linkage to serve interest-based advertising and other personalized content to you across your devices, to perform analytics, and to measure the performance of our advertising campaigns.
a. Cookies. Most browsers allow you to adjust your browser settings to: (i) notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies.
b. Blocking or deleting cookies may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly.
c. Interest-based advertising. To learn about interest-based advertising and how you may be able to opt-out of some of this advertising, you may wish to visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices and/or the DAA’s resources at https://www.aboutads.info/choices. You may also manage certain advertising cookies by visiting the EU‑based Your Online Choices at https://www.youronlinechoices.eu.
d. Cross-device linking. Please note that opting-out of receiving interest-based advertising through the NAI’s and DAA’s online resources will only opt-out a user from receiving interest-based ads on that specific browser or device, but the user may still receive interest-based ads on his or her other devices. You must perform the opt-out on each browser or device you use.
e. Mobile advertising. You may also be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings on your mobile device by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS) or “opt-out of interest based ads” (Android). You may also be able to opt-out of some---but not all---interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting https://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app.
f. Some of these opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept cookies. If you delete cookies, change your browser settings, switch browsers or computers, or use another operating system, you will need to opt-out again.
Google Analytics and Advertising. We use Google Analytics to recognize you and link the devices you use when you visit our site or Service on your browser or mobile device, log in to your account on our Service, or otherwise engage with us. We share a unique identifier, like a user ID or hashed email address, with Google to facilitate the service. Google Analytics allows us to better understand how our users interact with our Service and to tailor our advertisements and content to you. For information on how Google Analytics collects and processes data, as well as how you can control information sent to Google, review Google’s site “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” located at https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites. You can learn about Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs, including the Google Analytics Browser Add-On at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We may also utilize certain forms of display advertising and other advanced features through Google Analytics, such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager Integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. These features enable us to use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick advertising cookie) or other third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and display ads based on your past visits to the Service. You may control your advertising preferences or opt-out of certain Google advertising products by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager, currently available at https://google.com/ads/preferences, or by visiting NAI’s online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Control Over Your Information” section below.
We may share your personal information with:
- The public and other members of the Service. Content you post to public areas of the Service will be viewable by others on the Service and the public. Please do not provide personal information you would not want to be public (legitimate interest);
- Third parties at your request. For example, you may have the option to share your account on the Service with third parties upon your request (legitimate interest);
- Third-party vendors and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, as needed to carry out their work for us, which may include identifying and serving targeted advertisements; providing emailing services; providing tax, billing, and accounting services; cloud or web hosting; or providing analytics services (performance of contract / legitimate interest);
- The public when you provide feedback on our Service. For example, if you post User Content on our website or comment on our social media sites, your information, such as your first name, last initial, state of residence, and your comments, may be displayed on our Service or on our social media pages (legitimate interest);
- Other parties in connection with a company transaction, such as a merger, sale of company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings (legitimate interest);
- Third parties as required by law or subpoena or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to (a) comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement; (b) to enforce our Terms of Service or to protect the security or integrity of our Service; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Render, our visitors, or others (legal obligation / legitimate interest).
We may also share information with others in an aggregated or otherwise anonymized form that does not reasonably identify you directly as an individual.
- Profile and data sharing settings. You may update your profile information, such as your email and name on Render’s dashboard, and may change some of your data sharing preferences by emailing us at email@example.com.
- How to control your communications preferences. You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices).
- Modifying or deleting your information. If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your information, or if you want to remove your name or comments from our Service or publicly displayed content, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
If you are located in the EU or Switzerland, you have the following rights in respect of your personal information that we hold:
- Right to object. You have a right to object to any processing based on our legitimate interests where there are grounds relating to your particular situation. You can object to marketing activities for any reason whatsoever.
- Right of access. The right to obtain access to your personal information along with certain information.
- Right to rectification. The right to obtain rectification of your personal information without undue delay where that personal information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure. The right to obtain the erasure of your personal information without undue delay in certain circumstances, such as where the personal information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed.
- Right to restriction. The right to obtain the restriction of the processing undertaken by us on your personal information in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of the personal information is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal information.
- Right to portability. You have the right, in certain circumstances, to receive a copy of the personal information you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format that supports re-use, or to request the transfer of your personal data to another person.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint to your local data protection authority. Further information about how to contact your local data protection authority is available at https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and the applicable legal requirements.
- Keeping your information safe: We care about the security of your information and employ physical, administrative, and technological safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through our Service. However, no security system is impenetrable, and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Render does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 16 on this Service. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under age 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 16, please contact us at email@example.com.
The Service may contain links to and from third-party websites of our business partners, advertisers, and social media sites and our users may post links to third-party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. We strongly recommend that you read their privacy policies and terms and conditions of use to understand how they collect, use, and share information. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content on the websites of third-party sites.
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year. You may make one request each year by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.